2.03.2009

Tax Troubles




So, the New York Times is reporting that an Obama appointee that was selected to oversee government spending has withdrawn her candidacy because of "'tax troubles".

What's the deal with rich people not paying taxes?
Willy Nelson doesn't do it.
Wesley Snipes doesn't do it.
Robert Sylvester Kelly? Girl, puhleeeease, he doesn't do it *


One time in 2007 I didn't pay my taxes. Was it a government protest?
Perhaps I was simply feeling saucy? No sir, I just didn't do them.
Incidentally, this was also a year that I grossed maybe $11,000.

In total. USD. Pre recession inflation adjusted.

That's like what TLC just made, just since you've been reading this post.
In any case, sometime in mid-May I received a letter from the US Government informing me that I owed back taxes and a fee for making them wait on the
$50 that I owed them that year.

What I want to say is, who's job is it to monitor my ridiculously low-income,
but turn their eyes from the taxes of the wealthy?



*Recent accusations that R Kelly does not pay taxes are purely speculative and largely related to crimes of sexuality and taste, specifically, "Trapped in the Closet," chapters 18-21